Due to Blogger Format Changes

Due to Blogger Format Changes, Posts Will Be Shortened With LINKS to ORIGINAL NO MORE ANONYMOUS COMMENTS: they will be deleted. YOU MUST USE A NAME OR MONIKER!

30 May 2022

Shalom Pollack: A Locker Room Lesson

 

I just returned from the sports center in Kibbutz Ramat Rachel near my house where

I have been a member since I moved to the Arnona neighborhood in 2006.

Like the city and the country in general I have been noticing a demographic and with it, a social-cultural change.

In a way, the sports club is a  reflection of a greater phenomenon.


Like everywhere you look today, Jews are increasingly afraid of Arabs. This kibbutz club is the perfect example. The kibbutz itself was the guardian of the southern boundary of Jerusalem and paid a dear price in that role over the years.

They bravely persevered and the Arabs understood that they lost and acted accordingly.

But that was a long time ago.

When I first joined the club I don't recall seeing Arabs using the facilities.

With time that changed.  First, there were a few families who came mostly in the summer or perhaps on Friday. There was no problem.

There were a few elderly men who I saw often. Again, no problem.

Eventually, almost overnight, one began to see many more and hear them loud and clear raising their voices in their own language. They were very comfortable.

On the surface, there should be no problem. What is wrong with multiculturalism? Ask any Liberal Jew anywhere. it simply  makes them "kvell"(as long as it is not felt where they actually live .)


The blue-collar staff are all Arabs and they are usually friendly. I ask myself if it would totally surprise their employers if one of them had a bad day and needed to kill some Jews as happens so often in similar circumstances.


Back to the guests.

I have noticed the same process of  Arabs feeling no longer like guests who need to mind their behavior. One feels it in their behavior and the atmosphere it creates.

Today  I was involved in an incident that is certainly the first-time event there and a significant milestone in the club.


My locker room neighbor was dealing with an unusual situation.

A few Arabs placed their bags on the bench in front of the small lockers lined up with one on the other.

In short, there was no room and he asked them to put their bags on top of the lockers so as to allow access to his locker. Just simple physics and neighborly requests. No doubt that in the past the Arabs would immediately and apologetically comply. Not today. The fact that there were a few of them certainly emboldened the young (loud) men as they puffed up their chests.  My neighbor did not want a confrontation. I noticed how he requested and then was frustrated when they told him that they have a right to put their bags where they want. It heated up. Voices were raised. He told them not to raise their voices at him. More of them appeared and the air was pregnant with expectation and hostile energy.


Suddenly a very big one appeared and in a booming voice with eyes of hate bulging out of his sockets he demanded threateningly that my neighbor not yell. It was clear to me that they were going to show the Jews.

Not surprisingly my neighbor stood alone.

No other Jew in the locker room dared show his face at the scene. I noticed how some quietly slinked away exiting the place as fast as possible.

I was ashamed and outraged at our people. I never blame the Arabs for pushing the envelope. It's us who send them the wrong messages. It is not a new story but it was unfolding before my eyes.


I joined my neighbor in the yelling match. We both knew Arabic and I think that won some points with the mob.

Had this taken place in an isolated area we would likely have been another statistic.

Aware of where they were, they agreed to back off - for now.

I said in Arabic for all to hear, "Damascus gate has arrived in Ramat Rachel. It's a new world"!


One of the Arab workers showed up to see what was happening. I could see that  he was torn between the job he wanted and his shared feelings with the "shabab"  (mob of young people)


. Outside the locker room, one of the managers wanted to hear from me what happened.

I told her and added that this is a familiar process. It is the first time I have witnessed this crucial stage of the process in Ramat Rachel, that she should not be surprised and not continue to shove reality under the rug. I told her that this is not Switzerland. We both know the culture here and how things develop. I told her I know the Arab guests bring in a lot of money and you are proud of your tolerant position but it is not going to end well.

She smiled and asked me to report this to the general manager on Sunday.


shalompollack613@gmail.com


"Jews, Israelis  and Arabs"

Read it


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No surprise at all. When the memshala finds it more important to always side with our sonim from within, it naturally emboldens them and we all know what they are best at - 'retzach'!
This must be nipped in the bud, otherwise, as you write - 'it will not end well'.
H' Yishmor. If this continues throughout the Land, this will once and for all awaken the 'comatose sleeping' Jews, a people who don't learn easily. By allowing this to grow, it becomes more dangerous by the day, c'v.

Two Presentations by Eliezer Katzoff

Bomb Shelters in Israel     As has been all over the news, last week Israel was directly attacked by Iran with a barrage of drones and missi...