Spinach Crustless Quiche
Although cut into squares like brownies, these savory treats taste more like a quiche. Great as an appetizer, these freeze beautifully, just waiting for unexpected company!
· 1 9-ounce package of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained and squeezed (very dry)
· 1/3 cup minced onion
· 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
· 1/2 teaspoon oregano (or spice of choice)
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black (or white) pepper
· Pinch of salt
· 2 large eggs, separated
· 1 cup milk (or rice/soy milk, your choice)
· 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter or vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-x-9-inch pan. In a large mixing bowl, combine spinach, onion, and cheese. In another bowl, mix together French Bread/Pizza Mix and spices.
Mix egg yolks with milk and butter and fold into cheese mixture. Add flour mixture and mix to combine. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
Spread mixture in prepared pan and bake 30-35 minutes. Cool and cut into squares. Serve at room temperature or wrap and freeze. Reheat frozen squares in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.
Variations: Swiss cheese. Substitute chopped broccoli.
And For Dessert
Blueberry Pie with Lattice Crust
Prepare 1/2 bag of Gluten-Free Pantry Perfect Pie Crust according to package directions
• 4 cups fresh blueberries (or Bodek frozen drained)
• 1/2 to 1 cup granulated sugar, depending on sweetness desired
• 3 Tbsp cornstarch (or tapioca starch)
• 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• A pinch of salt, cinnamon & nutmeg
• Egg Glaze: (1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water) – optional
• Unsalted butter – optional
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Roll out pie crust between two sheets of lightly oiled plastic wrap. Cut a circle to fit a 9-inch pie plate and gently lay over plate. Lay another sheet of oiled plastic wrap over the plate and press the crust into the pan. Crimp the edges. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork. Cut the remaining dough into strips and reserve.
In large bowl, gently toss berries to coat thoroughly with sugar, salt, cornstarch, and spices. Add fruit to pastry-lined pan. (Dot filling with butter, if desired.)
Lay strips of crust over the top of the filling, crossing them for a lattice look. Brush with egg glaze and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 degrees and bake 35 to 40 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.