שני אישים מפורסמים מאד כיהנו בישיבה והם: הרב איסר זלמן מלצר שעמד בראש הישיבה החל [English text follows] משנת 1925 והרב אריה לוין שכיהן כמשגיח
WIKIPEDIA: Etz Chaim Yeshiva was originally a Talmud Torah that was established in 1841 by the Chief Rabbi of Jerusalem, Shmuel Salant. For the first two years classes were held in various rooms throughout the Old City.
In 1857, the yeshiva consolidated into a group of buildings adjacent to the Hurva Synagogue, sharing the premises with the Beth Din of Jerusalem. It was at this stage that the institution was renamed "Etz Chaim Yeshiva." The first permanent home of the yeshiva was financed by Rabbi Tzvi Zeev Fiszbejn (Fishbein in English), a wealthy brush maker originally from Miedzyrzec Podlaski in what is today Poland, who donated a thousand rubles in silver to Rabbi Salant for that purpose in 1863.
Although the yeshiva building on Jaffa Road is registered on Jerusalem's List of Protected Monuments, in 2007 the building was under the threat of demolition to make way for shops and offices. The authorities accepted an appeal for the buildings’ preservation. [Etz Chaim Yeshiva Building Saved from Destruction. Following the dramatic decision to save vast Jerusalem Forest areas from the massive Safdie construction program, conservatives have now won another round, saving the 100-year-old Etz Chaim yeshiva. Article from January 2007.]